November 28, 2005

A change of scenery



Staying in a car isn't that bad. The bad thing is waking up at four-thirty in the morning knowing you got to go to the bathroom. If you've got gas in the tank, you can turn on the heat for awhile and get warm again. Then, all you have to worry about is not falling asleep with it running. -Steve

He can't lay down because I'm storing shit for every hobo in the city, in the back of my truck. -the friendgirl

As far as I've been able to determine, Saturday was the first time Steve found a place to physically lie down in the six days since he'd left Barney's apartment. I found him stretched out on a blanket, lying face down, but not on his stomach. The weather was windy and mild (after two nights of twenty degree weather). For those who are unfamiliar with Nashville, the weather patterns along with the temperatures fluctuate wildly between seasons. It's an area where tropical moisture in the morning can lead to sleet that afternoon. The only predictable thing about it is that it will most likely occur during rush hour. Anyway, Steve planned to sleep outside Saturday night, if possible. He and the girl changed their location because the parking lot where they'd been staying became excessively rowdy over the weekend. It was a brilliant move I thought, since the arrest of either one could lead to some new disaster. Things change very quickly on the block though so just about everything I write is old news.

Here's a story written last week by my friend, John Spragens. (Sorry it's late, I thought I linked to it days ago) I'd just written the first post of Steve's story when John and I went to Lewisburg to meet with people there, who lost their TennCare coverage. It was a troubling day. Reports of tornadoes followed us all the way home and it seemed perfectly appropriate.

No comments: