December 20, 2005

Responses

These comments followed the previous post, a day after it was originally published. They were some of the most insightful comments to date on the topic of alcoholism.

My name's Terry, and I'm an alcoholic. I first said those words eight years ago, so I think I qualify to answer your question.

You believe, because friends and family of drunks are often co-dependent. It's a vicious cycle that can't be broken by wishful thinking or self deception.

If Steve is as much an alcohol as you suggest, then he is likely beyond medical help. He has a spiritual malady that can only be overcome through spiritual means -- and, I'm sad to say, this kind of help is very rarely found in church.

As the book of Alcoholics Anonymous says so perfectly, "We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help."

Regrettably, this is a choice only he can make. When King Alcohol finally wreaks enough havoc in his life, he will find himself at the stepping off point. Let's hope he has the courage to ask for help. My prayers are with you.


A day later, Gunner added,

I was 13 so i cannot honestly say I saw my dad drink himself to death, but he did. He never made my 14th birthday.

The problem is that if you feel he cannot make rational decisions on his health and life then who does? American history is full of movements to control alcoholics who could not control their drinking. Do a basic google search for alcoholics and eugenics and see how badly society treated them..

I stand by Terry's comment above, He cannot do it himself and he needs higher form of help. Good luck

No comments: