November 17, 2005

The wallet



Because I know for a fact, that Steve doesn't want this to be all doom and gloom, I must tell you now about the wallet. This morning he opened the sliding drawer in his tray table and pulled out what would appear to be a pack of loose tobacco (ordinarily, he rolls his own cigarettes and can roll one faster than you can open a new pack and get one out). He opened it like a man does his wallet and pulled out a card with a number on it. He studied the card for a minute, returned it and tossed the package onto the bed.

I lost my wallet four times, a few years back, he said. Four times, I had to replace all my I.D.'s and numbers, everything, whatever I could. And I got thinking one day and thought, you 'aint ever lost your tobacco. So instead of buying a new wallet that last time, I made one and I 'ain't lost it since then. Oh I got it stolen once, when I passed out in the yard at Labor Ready but I haven't lost it.

In honor of some of the more ignorant (unwitting - might really be the word) things that people said to him today, things like when you get home, and try to avoid food with salt in it etc., I asked him if he planned to participate in the Great American Smokeout. He laughed and I thought how nice it was that he is still able to get my jokes.

Also, congratulations to those of you who did in fact, participate in The Great American Smokeout. I wonder now, why there isn't a Great American Drinkout?

No comments: